With the start of the season upon us, PADI has worked together with other members of the British Diving Safety Group (BDSG), to produce seven top tips for divers to follow before they embark on their first dives of the season.
Nick Fecher, Coastal Safety Product Manager, said: ‘With Easter traditionally heralding the start of the diving season, the British Diving Safety Group has come together to produce and promote a set of consistent safety tips for divers.
‘We are encouraging divers to follow our seven top tips to ensure they enjoy the start of the diving season safely.
‘Simple steps like checking your kit is in working order after a winter in the garage and practicing in a pool or in shallow water before the first dive of the season can help ensure your safety.’
The seven top tips are:
• Have your kit serviced in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Check all your kit is in working order, such as suit seals and rubber straps for perishing, zips and SMB reels.
• Practice your skills in a pool/shallow site before the first dive of the season.
• Plan some work up dives to ease yourself back into the water if you have not dived since last year.
• Be realistic about your fitness levels before commencing the season.
• Don’t let complacency creep in. Inform the Coastguard of your plan and undertake a thorough buddy check before each dive.
• Do not underestimate the risks; accidents do happen to people like you.
Notes to editors:
For more information please contact Luke Blissett, Public Relations Officer, on 01202 663184 or email . Aluke_blissett@rnli.org.uklternatively, contact the RNLI Press Office on 01202 336789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for here for the RNLI website