PADI Divemasters have the power to be the world’s most passionate advocates for marine conservation. With your unique underwater access and dive skills, you are a powerful movement – one that can seek out action and mobilise change for the better! So, with that in mind, here are 5 tips how you can lend your voice to promote marine conservation efforts.
- As a mentor to divers the focus of your dives should be on the education and understanding of local marine life you are hoping to see. PADI Divemasters supervise both training and non-training related activities by planning, organising and directing dives. You can use these attributes to empower divers to become ocean stewards in several ways, such as:
- encouraging divers to practice good buoyancy control to avoid inadvertently damaging reefs by enrolling on the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy
- enticing divers to enrol on the AWARE Fish Identification course, to gain hands on fish identification and survey experience.
- You can partake in the development of environmental education and awareness programs! As a PADI Divemaster you can teach the Coral Reef Conservation and Project AWARE Specialist course on completion of the following: 1) the “Learning, Instruction and the PADI System” presentation from the Assistant Instructor Course. 2) a PADI Speciality Instructor Course taught by a qualified PADI Speciality Instructor Trainer. Make sure you ask your students to choose a Project AWARE version of their PADI certification card to support a clean and healthy ocean!
- Strengthen your ongoing commitment to global marine conservation activities by working for, or continuing your dive education with, a 100% AWARE partner. Across the world, PADI dive centres have committed to ocean protection through the 100% AWARE partnership. 100% AWARE partners support a healthy ocean by making a donation to Project AWARE on behalf of each student that they certify. Visit the 100% AWARE Dive Partner Map to locate a 100% AWARE dive centre or instructor.
- Inspire year-round action to remove, report and prevent underwater debris by organising Dive against Debris clean up actions. Check out the Dive Against Debris Event Organizer Kit to download helpful tools to recruit and organise your volunteers. The data collected helps influence policies and drive change needed to stop trash from reaching the ocean in the first place. Don’t forget to encourage your volunteers to upload their findings on the Dive Against Debris™ Interactive Map to further highlight the quantity and type of marine debris littering our seas.
- Spread the word about the importance of ocean conservation! One person can make a difference, but think how much greater an impact you’ll have if you recruit fellow divers to the cause!
So, what are you waiting for? Lend your support and your voice by becoming an active advocate for ocean conservation!